Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Writer's Rides: The MudBug Speaks!



As discussed before, my ’74 Baja Bug is a bittersweet project car that succeeds in simultaneously driving me nuts while making me grin from ear to ear like a fool. Luckily, during my spring break last week, the Beetle did nothing but make me smile. On the last day before I shipped back up to Norman, we pushed the Bug out in to the Texas sunlight as I began the starting process.  After prodding the worn ignition cylinder multiple times with the freshly cut keys, I stabbed the starter button repeatedly while stamping on the recalcitrant gas pedal, forcing me to hold my breath against the acrid gas fumes that began to flood into the cabin. After 5 minutes of listening to the starter whine, I was ready to give up and push the bastard back into the garage. However, I kept jabbing the button, and mercifully, the Beetle coughed to life with a throaty bark. Not wishing to squander this rare moment of mechanical cooperation, I tossed my Nikon to my dad, instructing him to film the Beetle in all of its rumbling, air-cooled glory. Take a look at my infamous MudBug in the video above, lined up next to its automotive brethren.  

P.S More info on the 911 soon. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment